Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

happy mother's day

Now that the sister and I are all grown up and moms ourselves we have a mother's day tradition of church then brunch with our mom, my sister's MIL, and the rest of the family. Except my kids because I'm the stepmom and the mom-mom should always have her babies on Mother's Day. (And my husband, b/c he's a hermit.) This year I woke up with a raging migraine (my old NS said it best "You get your head cut open that many times, you're gonna get headaches." LOL) so I missed out. However, this afternoon the sister and I were able to meet up for pedicures and gossip. No yummy breakfast though. And Mom and I have plans for some one-on-one time tomorrow. (Which is better because I like having Mom all to myself. LOL) Spending the day by myself, hiding under the covers, curled up in a ball, gave me lots of time to think though...

Mother's Day is always a bit bittersweet for me because, as a stepmom of kids whose mother is still in the picture, I'm always left feeling a bit... adrift. On the one hand, I feel like I deserve as much appreciation as their "real" mom because I'm the one who gets them off to school every day, helps with homework, takes them to the doctor.... Okay, I've changed my mind, I deserve "MORE APPRECIATION" damnit! ;) Because I do these things without thought, it's just what I should be doing. (Does that make sense?) I don't consider it "not my responsibility". They are my kids, so I take care of them. That's how it works. That's what a mom does.

On the other hand.... I get to see them every day. I'm the one that first hears about the awesome grade they got on a really hard test, or the cool idea they had for building the most creative and unusual items out of cardboard boxes and masking tape. (LOL) I know more about what they are into right now, what foods they all of a sudden love or hate, who their current friends are. So, I feel guilty about being jealous because she doesn't get this.  So, it's okay that she gets Mother's Day; I get every other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment